We specialise in catered weekend ski holidays and appreciate your time is precious. Arranging transfers and ski hire with the minimum of fuss and providing ski passes on your arrival all help to ensure that you have time to enjoy the ski slopes as well as relax in our well appointed ski chalet.
Aperitifs will be served before a delicious three-course home-cooked dinner accompanied with fine wine from our exclusive supplier. Relax and listen to classic tracks from Glyn's vast vinyl collection which spans 5 decades - Soul, Rock, New Wave, Punk, from artists such as U2, Tom Petty, The Clash, Ramones, Southside Johnny, Van Morrison, Lou Reed and Bruce Springstein can be sampled and enjoyed.
Each day we'll get you off to a good start with our wholesome continental breakfast with eggs cooked to your particular preference.
We'll collect you from the airport, drop and pick you up from the slopes and we can accompany you to ensure you enjoy the full potential of what the ski region has to offer.
Portes du Soleil has a vast amount of runs and is suitable for mixed-ability groups. Explore 'motorway' Morzine as fast or slow as you like; or challenge yourself to some of the more demanding terrain of Avoriaz. We are able to cater for a vast range of needs - from supporting beginners to descending challenging routes with more advanced skiers. As a taster, we've listed a few ideas you might like to include in your itinerary:
- warming up with a few runs skiing on the Domaine de Super Noirs in Avoriaz;
- skiing off-piste to picturesque Morgins in Switzerland, enjoying lunch at the superb Caf Des Sports before returning via Chatel - a complete circuit of Porte du Soleil;
- skiing in Chatel Linga looking for the 'Hidden Valley';
- descending down Grand Paradis to Champery before stopping for lunch at a traditional Swiss Buvette and enjoying spectacular views of the Dents du Midi range;
- exploring Chamossiere in the Nyon region which has fabulous views of Mont Blanc;
- descending more than 500m on the La Turche carving run to the entrance of Les Gets;
- skiing at the back of Mont Chery, which is a quiet area only frequented by locals, making it perfect for busy half-term holidays;
- we can organise guided off-piste skiing trips to either the Vallee de la Manche, which stretches from above Avoriaz to the Valley Floor beyond Morzine, or Chamonix's Vallee Blanche, which is an hours drive away and stretches 22km from Aiguille du Midi to Chamonix.
After a hard day on the slopes, unwind in our family size sauna or enjoy tea and cakes especially prepared for your return. This is a time to relax - sample a track from Glyn's infamous vinyl collection, watch the Sky equipped, widescreen TV, play a game of classic table football or just chill and soak up the stunning views of the Ardent Valley, Nantaux, Super Morzine and Rassachaux mountains.
Saturday evening can be spent, if so wished, at the local Auberge enjoying a typical Savoyard meal - Pierrade, Fondue, Tartiflette with Charcouterie, Raclette, Salade 'Chevre Chaud', Salade Paysanne, Tarte Tatin all exquisitively prepared by their famous chef. The owner also has one of the valley's best affordable wine cellars, let him offer you one of his secret gems which only his knowledge and experience can provide. A local premium will be charged to the cost of your holiday for a visit to the 'Petit Auberge'.
It has never been easier to take an extended weekend ski holiday. The abundance of cheap flights allows you to tailor your flexible short ski break to maximise your time on the slopes and restrict the number of days off work.
Morzine is the smart choice for short break ski holidays with its extensive skiing as well as its proximity to Geneva airport. This makes Morzine hard to beat for weekend skiers with short flights and transfers taking less than 80 minutes to and from the airport.
There are also pleasant incidental benefits to taking an extended weekend. Flexible ski breaks offer you the chance to break away from the herd and avoid Saturday as your transfer day. This means that whilst the roads are crowded, you get to experience a new calmness to the ski slopes.
Finally, with weekend ski holidays costing that little bit less and requiring less time off work you can always succumb to the indulgence of perhaps coming over for more than one ski holiday! We would love to see you again!
Chalet Margaritka. Morzine, French Alps
Backs and Blacks Blog
Keep up to date with goings on at Chalet Margaritka and all things skiing at our blog 'Backs and Blacks'